The OR-URISA Emerging Professionals (EP) Mentorship Program introduces new GIS professionals (0-5 years of experiences) and students (college seniors) to established GIS professionals (5+ years experience). The program’s goal is to help connect professionals, foster continuing relationships, and share resources that create opportunities for success for emerging professionals.
The EPs will provide ideas, activities, and opportunities for professional development throughout the six-month program, such as resume reviewing, job shadowing, networking opportunities, brown bag lunch series, promote professional development events, opportunity to present at GIS in Action, develop goals and set an action plan, and learn new skills.
*This is a pilot program. We want the pilot cohort to not only be excited to advance their own careers but also willing to work with OR-URISA and the EPs to help build a mentor program that is valuable to for future cohorts.The pilot program will include surveys and informational interviews to gather feedback and ideas from cohort participants on how to grow and structure a meaningful, lasting mentor program.
Events to Connect with Mentor Cohort
Kick-off Event: End of Summer BBQ (Fall 2020)
Mid-program Check-in (Winter 2021)
Program Closing Happy Hour (Spring 2021)
GIS in Action (April 2021)
• Get exposure to a real-life professional workplace setting
• Learn the tricks of the trade
• Scope out potential career paths
• Take your professionalism to the next level; challenge yourself, set higher goals and take risks
• Develop increased competencies and stronger interpersonal skills
• Gain increased visibility in the field
• Find your self-confidence
• Re-energize your career
• Get exposure to the emerging
• Learn the newest tools, ideas
• Get a fresh perspective, reflect
• Improve your coaching,
• Help an emerging professional to
• Give back and help grow Oregon’s